Carpets provide warmth, comfort, and a stylish look to any room. They require maintenance and cleaning to stay in good condition. Clean carpets provide a healthier environment for you and your family.
So before you call a professional carpet cleaner, let’s dive into the details of carpet cleaning frequency.
The Frequency of Carpet Cleaning
The frequency of cleaning your carpet depends on different factors, such as the type of carpet you have, the number of people and pets living in your house, and how much foot traffic the carpet receives. For example, if you have a light-coloured carpet and a lot of kids and pets, you may need to clean it more often than someone with a darker carpet and no pets. However, regular carpet cleaning is crucial if someone in your family has allergies or asthma to maintain healthy air quality.
Carpet Cleaning Methods to Consider
That’s where deep cleaning comes in. Vacuuming alone cannot eliminate all the dirt and bacteria trapped in the carpet fibres.
Most carpet cleaners opt for this method as it involves using a machine that sprays water and cleaning solution onto the carpet and then suctions it back up, along with the dirt and bacteria. There are two main deep-cleaning methods:
- Hot Water Extraction. Also known as steam cleaning, hot water extraction involves spraying hot water and cleaning solution onto the carpet and vacuuming it. This method effectively removes deep-seated dirt and bacteria, and carpet manufacturers recommend it. However, this method requires more drying time than dry cleaning.
- Dry Cleaning. This approach involves a dry cleaning solution and a machine that agitates the solution into the carpet fibres. The solution then attracts the dirt and bacteria, which is vacuumed. This method is quicker than hot water extraction and requires less drying time. However, it may be less effective in removing deep-seated dirt and bacteria.
Regular Maintenance of Carpets
While hiring professional carpet cleaners is sometimes necessary, regular carpet maintenance can help prolong their lifespan and keep them looking clean. Here are some tips for maintaining your carpets:
- Vacuum regularly: As mentioned earlier, vacuuming at least once a week is essential to remove dirt, dust, and debris.
- Spot clean spills immediately: If you spill something on your carpet, clean it up right away. The longer you wait, the tougher it will be to remove the stain.
- Use doormats: Place doormats at every entrance to your home to reduce the amount of dirt and debris that gets tracked onto your carpets.
- Remove shoes: Encourage your family and guests to remove shoes before entering your home. This will reduce the amount of dirt and bacteria tracked onto your carpets.
- Rotate furniture: Rotating your furniture every six months can help prevent uneven wear and tear on your carpets.
The frequency of cleaning your carpets at home depends on several factors. By keeping your carpets clean, you not only improve the appearance of your home but also promote better indoor air quality and reduce the risk of allergies and respiratory issues.
Forward Green Carpet and Tile Cleaning has a professional carpet cleaner team that thoroughly cleans your carpets using the latest equipment and techniques. Schedule an appointment with us today!